Monday, July 15, 2013

Happy To Be a Missionary in San Nicolas

This has been a pretty good week. I am so thankful to be serving here in San Nicolas. Lots of good things are happening.

We found a really good new investigator this week. She is the wife of a less active member, and we started teaching her because they both came to church. Last Friday, we taught them about the Restoration through Joseph Smith. I think I felt the spirit more while we were teaching them than I have ever felt it before when teaching that lesson. I really felt the spirit testifying to me that what we were teaching is true. My testimony about missionary work is really growing, and I really know this is God's work. Yesterday when we taught them again, she accepted a baptismal date.

I also had a cool experience the other day when I was preparing to go out to work, and I felt like maybe I should bring an Ilocano "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple" booklet. At first I shrugged it off because I didn't think I would use it, but then I decided to follow that feeling, and I stuck one in my bag, along with a Tagalog one. We taught 2 less actives later that day who are good friends, and they just started coming back to church the Sunday before, and the subject turned to the temple, and they mentioned that they don't have a "preparing to enter the holy temple" booklet but they want one. So I brought out the 2 I brought and gave them to them. One of the less actives I gave it to doesn't understand Tagalog very well, just Ilocano. So now I know why I was prompted to bring it.

We have at least two baptisms coming up on July 27: Tatay F. and Sister C. I am so happy about Tatay F. He really is a miracle. The elders were teaching him before we got to the area, but he wasn't progressing when we started teaching him, and he was just depressed and discouraged because he had a stroke and he felt like he would die at any time because he felt so weak. It took us such a very long time before we could get him to come to church because it's hard for him to walk, and it's also hard for him to prepare himself for church because of his physical condition. He also had a hard time accepting a baptismal date because he thought he might die before that date came, and he wasn't sure he could continue to do the things required if he got baptized (like going to church and reading the Book of Mormon). We tried everything to help him to agree to be baptized, but he just wasn't making any progress, and so we were on the verge of just dropping him as an investigator. But then we taught him a lesson about how much God loves him, and when we taught him that, he felt the spirit so much that he accepted to be baptized. And then he just started progressing like a rocket. he started coming to church, and he has come to church for 4 Sundays now in a row, and I can really see how his faith is growing. Yesterday we taught him about keeping the Sabbath day holy, and sister Quiles asked him if he feels excited when Sunday is close, and he said yes, and he said that when he is at church he feels happy, and his walk gets straighter, and he said he felt so good at church yesterday even though the power was out and it was hot (he has a hard time handling the heat). I can just see how hope is just building up in him. He doesn't say anymore that he feels like he will die soon, and he smiles now. I'm so happy. :)


I am so so so so so so so happy to be a missionary here in San Nicolas. I love seeing the gospel change people's lives. I am seeing so many more miracles now than I ever have before in my mission. I think it's because I'm striving harder and harder to be obedient, and to focus and be diligent, and to plan effectively, and to apply the trainings that we receive from our mission leaders. I really know that this is the Lord's work. The gospel is true. I am so grateful to have been raised in the church. I am so grateful to know about the temple. The temple really is what it's about. I miss the temple so much, I am so excited to go there again. We don't realize in Utah how lucky we are to live so close to the temple. Don't take it for granted; go as often as you possibly can. 


Sister Boekweg

No comments:

Post a Comment