Monday, April 26, 2010

Greetings from Caba!

Hey hey hey! Yep, I got transferred! On Friday I arrived in my 2nd area: Caba. I'm really happy. I already really love this area. It is in the Agoo Zone (pronounce: ag-OH-oh) and right next to the ocean. There is also a small mountain in our area. It's kind of a smaller town than Dagupan (more rice fields). I am emailing you right now from Agoo (about 30 minutes away). And Caba is also a little less hot than Dagupan, I think. The biggest difference is that ilocano is the main language here. It's more widely spoken here than Pangasinan was used in Dagupan. (in Dagupan, even though Pangasinan was the main language, most everyone used Tagalog at church and other activities as their staple language) but here, Ilocano is more the staple language rather than Tagalog. At church, they used mostly Ilocano and only some English and Tagalog. Fortunately most people can still understand Tagalog, and most of our investigators can speak it. Also, English is used here a lot more than it was used in Dagupan. We had a branch activity on Saturday with LOTS of food. I love the members here! They are so nice. The people here are really surprised when they find out I can speak Tagalog. Sister Dollenes said that the American sisters assigned here previously haven't been able to speak the language, so it blows them away when they start speaking to me in English and I answer back in Tagalog. Hmm.. I'm hoping to be able to pick up some Ilocano too so that I can at least understand what people are saying a little better.

My companion is Sister Dollenes from Makati (near Manila). She is so sweet and very talkative. I especially like that she always talks to me in Tagalog only (my previous 2 companions preferred to practice their English rather than talk in Tagalog). I am her first "junior" and so we are able to help each other a lot, more like equal partners, which is nice. She is 27 and graduated in accounting.

I got to see Sister Young at transfers! I miss her! She got transferred to Dagupan - not the ward I was assigned in but another one. Oh, and I was actually able to say goodbye to most of my investigators in Dagupan (when I came home to pack for transfers), which was a blessing. I can also write to them for free through pouch - yay! Working with Sister Gungon for a couple days was a lot of fun. She is a sweetheart. I love seeing the different areas. The Philippines is so much fun! I love it here.

I'm happy for Alex that he gets to serve as a district leader in Trelew! Thank you for the letters/emails, Grandma Maria, Tuminezes, Balinskis - thank you so much!! I wish I had the time to respond to every letter, but at least you can forward the emails to everyone.

Ok, time's up. Thank you so much for all of your support and love. I know that this is Heavenly Father's work. I know that the church is true - It makes me so happy! I love you Jennifer and Jessica! Mommy and daddy dear! Lisa loo! Stay safe and happy always. (Especially *you!)

Love, Rebecca

Sorry I haven't sent many pictures recently - next week I'll try to send a few of some recent baptisms :)

No comments:

Post a Comment