Sunday, August 29, 2010

Email from August 23: Kumusta, minamahal kong pamilya!

Kumusta, minamahal kong pamilya!

That is great to hear about Daddy being called as the ward mission leader! How wonderful! You will be the missionaries' best friend!

On Saturday we had a one-day mission in our branch. I am impressed with the enthusiasm and energy of the members of the branch to reach out and invite the less-active members back to church. Our elders quorum president, Brother Aglubat, is very active and diligent in his reactivation efforts and going out and visiting everyone he can. If every member in Caba and Aringay was fully active, we'd have a stake! Hopefully that time will come.

This week we taught Brother Dominar Garcia and his wife, Arlene. They are a very wonderful family who seem ready for the gospel. As we started to teach them about where we came from, they realized that they had no idea. It is always such a sweet experience to help others discover the answers to the great questions of the souls, and to help them see that these things "are truly manifested to us from Heaven." (D&C 123:13). We have the Book of Mormon, and we have living prophets, and we know who were are, why we are here, and where we are going. We need not be confused. Heavenly Father has given us knowledge concerning all of these things. I'm so grateful for the Plan of Salvation that has been revealed to prophets for us. There are many in the world who need help. So many people. If we could each just help one person find their way home, and if we could make that the object of our lives, how many of Heavenly Father's children would be brought back into the light of the gospel!

I've been thinking a lot about one of Daddy's poems - "The Trick" and how that is very much like missionary work. A lot of the time, we don't realize it, but we are like mirrors in our interactions with people. We are either the ones who merely imitate, or we are the ones who "set the mood" and others automatically will reflect back that same attitude. This is especially important when teaching the restored gospel and helping others make and keep commitments to apply it to their life. If they reflect a casual or uncommitted attitude, we need to be careful not to be mirrors and act casual about the gospel too. We need to follow Elder Holland's advice and realize that "much of the time we are just too casual about this. This is eternal life. ...They may not know that, but at least you do! So take control of the situation." I love that quote. At Zone Conference, Elder Co of the 70 came to speak to us, and he and President Jensen taught us about this principle. We need to be the ones that "set the stage" so that we can awaken our brothers and sisters to how important this really is. If the way we speak and act reflects the attitude that this is the most important thing in the world, others will see how it is and adjust accordingly. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is the only way to true and lasting happiness.

We went to Baguio for Zone Conference on Wednesday, and I got to see sister Dollente again :) I also met a new American sister, Sister Eldredge, who told me, "Sister Boekweg, I have a message for you!" and then gave me a big hug (from Lisa!) Aw thank you Lisa!!! That's neat to think that she saw you just recently in the MTC!

I love the parable of the sower in the New Testament. I think a really huge role in teaching the gospel is first trying to soften hearts and create a climate and environment that can foster the growth of testimony. We all need to receive the seed (gospel) into good soil. As missionaries, friends, neighbors - we are all "plowers" - helping to plow the ground, and prepare people's hearts to receive the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

I love Helaman 3:29-30. It didn't use to have much meaning for me, but recently it has become of my favorite scriptures because of seeing so much distraction, contention, and confusion in the world. There is only one way to find our way through life safely and triumph over "fiery darts of the adversary." We must hold to the iron rod/word of God. All other attempts will fail if we don't have a sure grasp on that one sure anchor.

I love being a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Sometimes it is overwhelming, and I know that I have many weaknesses and shortcomings, but I am grateful for this opportunity to be engaged in this work and do what I can to move this work along. I am learning so much. Thank you so much for everything - I think I'm pretty sure I was blessed with the sweetest happiest family in the world! I love you!

Happy Birthday to Grandma Gunn and also to Grandma Boekweg coming up!
I love you bunches! Especially *you!
Love, Rebecca

Here's an Alex quote of the day: "If you feel depressed, sad, or any negative emotion, do the following things: Pray, serve someone and make someone else happy, think of your blessings, and understand that you cannot bless others very well with a frown, and then make a conscious effort to turn it upside down." I love that. It is very true. Every time we feel any kind of negative feeling, it does not come from God, and we need to learn to recognize and acknowledge it's source.

P.S. Let me know if you have any insights/object lessons about sacrifice, mighty change of heart, or covenant keeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment