Monday, July 23, 2012

Dito na ako sa Pilipinas!

Hey everybody!

Well, I'm here in the Philippines! My area is called Paoay. It's very pretty with lots of trees. It's a town that seems to be somewhere around the size of Mount Pleasant. I live in a really cute little house that looks kind of like a birthday cake. It's painted lots of different colors. I'll try to send you a picture of it soon. :)

My trainer is Sister Asuro. She is Filipino, but she speaks English very well. She is super sweet, and kind, and patient, and very grateful and positive all the time. After we pray together she always gives me a hug and says "Thank you, Sister Boekweg."

My mission president, President Barrientos, is really nice too. He likes to make a lot of jokes. He is also very kind; he gave me and Sister Asuro food on Friday, so we wouldn't have to worry until P-day.

The mosquitos here love me! I feel so blessed to be in a place where even the insects are happy to see me! Hehe! Seriously though, the people here are so nice. Whenever we go to teach someone, they are so happy to talk to us. We are working with a lot of less actives right now, trying to get them to read the Book of Mormon daily, pray daily, and go to church. Even after just being here 5 days, it has really struck me how important reading the Book of Mormon, praying, and attending church are. Once people stop doing those, they really quickly drift away from the gospel.

I think the Tagalog is coming okay. I've been able to help teach, and Sister Asuro says the people are understanding me. It really helps to teach with a native Filipino because she can correct me if I say something wrong.

I love you all! Keep up your scripture reading, prayer, and church attendance!

Love, your favorite missionary, Sister Lisa Boekweg

Me and the other new missionaries in front of the Manila Temple when we arrived because we stayed in Manila for 1 day before flying to Laoag, so we got to go to the temple!

Me with my mission president and his wife

Me with the other new missionaries and President and Sister Barrientos

No comments:

Post a Comment