Tuesday, June 25, 2013

June 9 -- Observations On My Mission

I've had some observations while I've been here in the mission:

1) I've discovered why people grow so much on missions. It's because when you go on a mission, you basically start at the "baby" stage, and then you go through the preschool, elementary, high school, college, etc. etc. etc. stage. I'll tell you what I mean by that. Being a missionary is so much different than what we're used to before we go on a mission. The expectation is so much higher. So when you come in as a new missionary, you really are like a baby, compared to where you will be at when your mission is done. I feel like right now I'm maybe at the high school senior stage. I remember at the beginning of my mission, and how much different I was back then, and I really feel grateful for how much I've changed.

2) I've discovered the magic of enthusiasm. Before, when I first met someone to try to share the gospel, I was kind of just quiet and basically tiptoe-ing trying to get them to accept to learn about the gospel, because I wasn't sure how they were going to react. But I just recently learned how much power there is in showing enthusiasm. If I go up to someone and act super excited to meet them and super excited to share the gospel with them, they have a totally different reaction. They are so much more receptive. I've found out how effective it is to say, "excited talaga po kami na makilala po kayo! At excited po kami na makapagbahagi sa inyo ang tungkol sa ebanghelyo ni Jesucristo dahil gusto namin ibahagi yung kasiyahan na meron po sa pamiliya po namin dahil sa ebanghelyo!" Translation:  We are really excited to meet you! And we are excited to be able to share with you about the gospel of Jesus Christ because we want to share the happiness that there is in our family because of the gospel.


Sister Boekweg

No comments:

Post a Comment